Monday, August 27, 2007

is it still August?

Having grown up in Minnesota, where school never starts before Labor Day, I find it extremely strange to be in my third week of teaching while it is still August. The plus side is that next week is a short week because of Labor Day! Curt and I will be camping at a place called Dead Horse Ranch State Park. It is near Jerome, Arizona which is supposed to be an artsy little town. Also, since we are heading north by two hours it should be significantly cooler. This weekend it got down into the high 90's, and what a difference that made. It didn't even feel hot outside.

Things are going well at work. I'm starting to get a grip on things and slowly learning the ins and outs of the school, and of teaching music to 700 kids.

Saturday I was supposed to go to a West African dance class with a coworker, Laurie. She came to pick me up with her sister Brooke and friend Randi (they all live together and work at my school). Laurie forgot to look up where the place was, so we spent our time instead at Jamba Juice and my new favorite store, Last Chance. I started rebuilding my wardrobe - very frugally!

Oh, I almost forgot. Friday night, Curt and I went to the Diamondbacks game downtown. They played the Cubs. You wouldn't believe how many Cubs fans there are in Phoenix. They definitely outnumbered the D-backs fans. The D-backs lost, too, which was unfortunate. It was fun to see the stadium though. It has a retractable roof, but it was closed because of the heat.

It's time for dinner so I'm out for now, but let me know if you're still reading!

Love,
Nik

2 comments:

plw said...

Yes, it is and I am still reading.

Yeah We Do Windows (and paint) said...

nik, I already knew all this stuff ;)